Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Technology= Friends?

I know that technology has come a long way from previous years, but I didn't realize how far it has come exactly until today. One of my friends had mentioned to me her troubles with her boyfriend and her relationship, and didn't know what to do about it. Before getting my advice, she gets on the computer, goes to Google, and looks up how to deal with a troubling relationship. I thought that that was a little absurd. Situations that we use to ask family members or friends, we are asking the computer. I was in shock that she would even begin to believe that the computer could help her relationship. Things like friendships and relationships I feel like we have to deal with personally and not through technology. Writing to a computer is not going to mend a broken heart or bring together a friendship. With all this said, she of course had things to say about it. While talking to me, she expressed her knowledge of a computer not being able to fix her relationship but help. She stated how people like her get on the computer for advice and some even write their experiences on the computer to help others. This I do agree on. Yes, I do believe that people write things that they've learned or experienced on the computer but I don't agree that situations close to the heart, should be dealt with by technology. Through this situation, I began to contemplate. I thought to myself, how our relationships we build with others are becoming affected. Its almost like computers are our friends. We go to them for information, count on them to be there every second of everyday, and miss them when were not near them. Which leads me to the question, who needs friends when you have technology?

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I completely agree with you! I think it is ridiculous that people think the computer can fix EVERY problem that they might have. A computer does not have a brain. It just reads what it is programmed to do.

Sure, some people will benefit with how others have coped with a heartache but it differs from person to person. No one person will grieve or be happy in the same way.

Our computers are our friends. They are taking over our lives. It reminds me of the movie Smart House when the robotic maid takes over the house. Is that really what life will be like in the future because we have become so dependent on technology, especially by replacing humans by computers?

I certainly know that the next time I have a problem, the first person I turn to will be a PERSON and not my computer!

Amanda said...

I agree as well, the computer she is looking up relationship advice on does not know her boyfriend or anything about their relationship. A friend or family member knows both people in the relationship and can be an outside source to help in their troubled times.

Today, instead of going to the person we’re in a relationship with we turn to a computer to hind behind. She could have “troubleshot” with her boyfriend but instead used a machine to solve their problems.

I think that a relationship isn’t worth fixing when you need a machine (without an actual brain or feelings) to solve problems between couples.

Candace said...

Tiff, this is so true. I definitely miss my phone when I don't have it with me, I constantly wonder if someone has called or texted me.